This project is read-only.

Toastify controls wrong Spotify in Volume Control

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:43 PM
Hey there,

several days ago I noticed I was no longer able to control the volume of Spotify using Toastify. Play, Stop, Next Track and Previous Track were still working fine. At that time I was too tired and lazy to look after the problem.

Yesterday I tried again with same result. Play, Stop, Next Track, Previous Track working fine. Volument up/down did nothing.

I checked the hotkeys settings. The were fine.
I reinstalled Toastify. No change.
I installed a different Toastify version. No change.

At some point I noticed Spotify is listed with three entries in the Windows Volume Mixer (Windows 7). One of the entries shows Spotify + the song that is currently playing. The two other entries are just called Spotify. Spotify is also running three processes in the task manager so I guess this is the way it is supposed to be.

Unfortunately when I volume up or down using Toastify it changes the volume on one of the two black Spotify entries, not on the one listed with the song I'm currently playing.

So I did some research using Google. After some time I found out about this registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore
I deleted all the Spotify entries there, restarted my computer and bam - volume up and down worked fine again.

Now while this sounds nice after a restart of Spotify the whole volume up/down thing did not work again. Toastify again controls one of the two blank Spotify entries. The above mentioned solution didn't work again either.

Any way to fix this permanently?

btw, the Spotify volume that is controlled by Toastify is listed first in the volume mixer. No idea if that's just a coincidence or cuases the problem. Or maybe it has something to do with the PIDs of the processes? But my knowledge really ends here.

http://imgur.com/a/J5Zcg
Feb 4 at 11:20 AM
Edited Feb 4 at 11:22 AM
It's sad to see no solution or suggestion has been posted in three months because the problem didn't just solve itself. So for the last weeks I still had the problem described above. Last week I was about to unsub from Spotify because without being able to control the volume Spotify is useless to me. But before I did I thought I'm gving the whole thing another chance and tried to figure out what causes the problem. I finally found the solution.

The solution is to prevent Spotify from updating itself (and we all know Spotify loves to update itself several times a week). For some strange reason, everytime Spotify updates itself, it seem to "re-register" itself as a different instance in Windows Mixer. It's still called Spotify and everything looks ok but Toastify is unable to find the "new version". Instead Toastify, as described above, controls the wrong Spotify in Windows Mixer.

So what needed to be done was the following:
Download a full version of the Spotify client.
Close/kill everything Spotify (including SpotifyCrashService.exe, SpotifyWebHelper.exe etc etc)
Uninstall currently installed Spotify.
Make a backup of your registry
Delete key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore
(or just all Spotify entries, depending on how experienced you are)
Reboot
Install Spotify
Now before you run it go to the Spotify folder (C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Spotify) and create (or replace if already present)
-> Spotify_new.exe
-> Spotify_new.exe.sig
(You can do so by creating a new text document and renaming it)
Set both files to read-only

This will prevent Spotify from updating itself. Therefore there's always the same "version" (sorry but I don't know a better word for it) of Spotify in the Windows Mixer. Therefore Toastify works fine, at least for me.

Sidenote 1. While the above described method does prevent Spotify from updating it does not prevent it from trying to. It almost gave me a heart attack because I feared this method is no longer working but it does still work. However, I'm now also blocking the Spotify update related URLs through the Windows HOSTS file so Spotify can't/won't even try to start an update. I'll see how that works out.

Sidenote 2. Spotify comes with a launcher and at least two helper applications. If you, like me, hate programs that autostart withouth being told so I can tell you that it is not only safe to disable that Spotify Launcher (through MSConfig for example) but you can also rename the programs SpotifyCrashService.exe, SpotifyWebHelper.exe (and SpotifyLauncher.exe of course) to something else. This way they don't start and waste space but Spotify works perfect without them and never even asked for them. I have actually no idea what they are good for anyway.