Bizarre Behavior Suddenly

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:27 PM
Everytime I run Toastify now (as administrator) on my Win 10 x64, it has a command window up with an error.

[0218/182106:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(764)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak

What's up?
Feb 19, 2016 at 4:22 AM
I have created a new Issue bringing up this very problem. It started immediately after updating to Spotify version 1.0.23.90.g42187855.

Interestingly, in spite of the error and following errors I get, Toastify and Spotify appear to otherwise behave as usual. If you error is like mine you get two command prompts, a blank one and one with errors. You can close the one with errors and after about three or four times it will go away for good. If you close the blank one Spotify closes.
Feb 21, 2016 at 7:43 AM
Exper1mental wrote:
I have created a new Issue bringing up this very problem. It started immediately after updating to Spotify version 1.0.23.90.g42187855.

Interestingly, in spite of the error and following errors I get, Toastify and Spotify appear to otherwise behave as usual. If you error is like mine you get two command prompts, a blank one and one with errors. You can close the one with errors and after about three or four times it will go away for good. If you close the blank one Spotify closes.
This is indeed the EXACT behavior that I too am experiencing. I mean, yes it's 'functional' but.. it's extremely annoying. I've also found out something called chromedriver.exe remains running after Toastify and the cmd prompts are closed. -_-
Feb 22, 2016 at 7:39 AM
I have the same problem since the lastest update. Would be thankful for a solution!
Feb 24, 2016 at 1:44 AM
Edited Feb 24, 2016 at 11:10 PM
There is a temporary solution to this problem that I listed in the Issue thread I create. I'll repost the guide.

To read the full post click here
The Basic Problem
While technically speaking the new version of Spotify (1.0.23.90) can run to some extent with Toastify, it appears that Toastify album art is broken, keyboard commands have been reported to lag, and I've personally found that the new version of Spotify when running with Toastify is significantly more taxing on my processor than older versions (or when Toastify is disabled). For specifics and details about the problem read my Original Post which is towards the bottom of this one.

The Temporary Solution
If you want to continue using Toastify and resolve the issues created by the latest version of Spotify you can roll back to an older version by following the guide below. Bear in mind I have not done this myself because I have over 20GBs of offline songs that I may have to download again if I rollback.

This solution will only work for so long because Spotify eventually ends support for older versions of the program, forcing us to upgrade.

Installing Spotify 1.0.21.143 should fix our errors but I cannot guarantee that since I have not rolled back at this time. If you decide to rollback and try this version it would be AWESOME of you to post whether or not it worked (and if not then tell us what version did)

FileHorse (you can also google this if you prefer) offers all the previous versions of Spotify for download. However, for a rollback to work you need to prevent Spotify from updating.

We are still experimenting with various methods for preventing Spotify updates. Unfortunately I am still on limited broadband so I can't test these myself. If you use one and it works (or doesn't) please let us know (knowing what version you rolled back to would also be helpful)

Block upgrade.spotify.com
Spotify waking my PC through the night really ticked me off. Whilst the tricks with "Spotify_new.exe" and "Spotify_new.exe.sig" worked well on older versions, but not on the newer versions. I stumbled upon mention of "upgrade.spotify.com". Adding it as a bogus entry in the hosts file has so far worked a treat.

Step by step instructions are here for those who need it. Otherwise, you guys know what I mean.
  1. Hit "windows key" + R
  2. Enter "notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
  3. Add "127.0.0.1 upgrade.spotify.com" to the bottom of the file.
  4. Save and close
Set installer to Win 95 mode
Found a solution, just make sure you've got an older version of spotify up with a prompt to update to the latest version
  1. Locate Spotify folder in appdata/roaming/Spotify
  2. Find Spotify_new.exe and open the properties of that file
  3. Go to compability tab and press "change settings for all users"
  4. Set compability mode to always run as windows 95
  5. Apply settings
Now whenever spotify "updates", the old version will stay the same and the new version will install in C:\ProgramData\Spotify. The old version will stay intact in appdata/roaming/Spotify. Run Spotify.exe from there and you won't get any updates!
Create a Batch File Deleting Update Files
You could arrange to run a batch file containing
del C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify_new.exe
del C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify_new.exe.sig
and arrange to have it run when your PC starts up.
Mine's rarely rebooted, so I have no problem reinstalling the old one occasionally, if necessary.
All of these I found in this Spotify thread.