Massive reproduceable fps drop

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:28 AM
Hey there,

the following is reproduceable on our desktop PC and happens with all Toastify versions I tested.

My sons love playing WoW and they asked me about a problem. Since I'm working as IT support I thought I'll look into it.

When WoW is running and we start Toastify the FPS in WoW decrease immediatly by 5-10 FPS. Now that wouldn't be a problem but as soon as the first command is used (global hotkeys, play for example) the FPS drop to 18-20.

I can reproduce this every time. And I tried all 1.7.x versions and 1.6.6. As soon as I close Toastify FPS recover immediatly.

Win7 SP1
Intel Core i7-2600K
GeForce GTX760
Spotify client hardware acceleration enable or disabled makes no difference
Aug 5, 2015 at 12:29 PM
I can confirm that this issue exists and is indeed reproducable.

On this computer (ver. 1.7.5) it's even worse, though. Playback is impossible, with jumps in sound. Even the mouse curser is visibly affected by 'something' hugging all the resources.

Restarting Spotify (not Toastify) mitigates the problem. There's still around 10s lag on hotkeys presses and noticeable decrease in overall system performance (this is a big issue as I often run massive calculation routines and file operations).

Ver. 1.7.0 does not have this slowdown issue.

If Toastify uses Java, then I can point to Java probably being the main problem. I've encountered other programs who's had this issue as well - all Java based.
Aug 7, 2015 at 4:24 PM
Thanks for your reply. I didn't expect one after such a long time.

Unfortunately for us Toastify, and Toastify alone, is the problem. The FPS drop occurs even when Spotify hasn't been started. So starting Toastify -> FPS drop. Shutting down Toastify -> FPS go back to normal. Starting Toastify again -> FPS drop. And it happens with all the Toastify versions. The lagging hotkeys thing is a totally different problem also discussed in the forum.

But to be honest, I gave up here. Doubt any official cares.
Coordinator
Aug 7, 2015 at 4:55 PM
Toastify is not Java - in general the newer versions of Toastify are expected to be significantly slower due to changes made by Spotify in their new version, there isn't anything we can do to mitigate those, at least not right now.

As for general slow down on older versions when playing WoW, this is likely something GPU related. Toastify doesn't do anything special beyond sit there looking at Spotify, though it does hook the keyboard for shortcuts (which may interfere with WoW's hooks? That wouldn't affect fps though) sadly I'd simply recommend closing Toastify when playing WoW.
Coordinator
Aug 10, 2015 at 5:17 PM
I've made some changes to the transparent Toast window that should alleviate this on 1.7.6 - check it out!
Aug 13, 2015 at 7:26 AM
Hi nachmore

Glad to see you're working on the problem. Unfortunately 1.7.6 (or 1.7.7) didn't solve the issue. In my case it doesn't seem like a performance issue, but rather an actual fault. Like a memory leak or infinite loop. My machine is intended for matlab (i.e. heavy calculations/compiling) and still toastify+spotify bugs down ressources enough to even affect the mouse cursor.

As mentioned, ver. 1.7.0 shows no issues.